Coronavirus information

Visitor restrictions, information for patients and more.

View coronavirus information

Emergency Department

Who we areAbout usThe teamWhere we areJob vacanciesContact us

About the Emergency Department

The Emergency Departments at Heartlands and Good Hope Hospitals are the place to come if you have life-threatening injuries, such as:

  • loss of consciousness
  • severe chest pain
  • severe bleeding
  • severe burn or scald
  • severe allergic reaction
  • trouble breathing
  • suspected broken bone

The Emergency Departments at both hospitals are teaching departments and medical and nursing students are often present.


What to do if you feel unwell

For a range of minor illnesses which don't need medical attention. There is a range of conditions that can be treated at home with the right medication. Examples include sore throats, coughs, colds and mild stomach upsets.
Advice on medication for minor illnesses, including coughs and coldsPharmacies can provide you with medication for a variety of mild illnesses, including coughs and colds. Pharmacists are also able to offer advice when you are unwell but unsure exactly what may be wrong. They can offer you advice on what medication will suit your condition or direct you towards another service if needed. Find a pharmacy:
General medical advice and treatment for a range of illnesses.General practitioners (GPs) are your local doctors. They can offer you medical advice, provide treatment, prescribe medication that is not available readily at the pharmacy and refer you to another service if necessary. The vast majority of GPs will offer emergency same-day appointments or home visits if you require more urgent medical help. Alternatively, you will be able to book an appointment for a future date. Find and register with a GP here:
Help with minor injuries and illnesses, without an appointment.You may be unable to get an appointment on the day from your local GP, or you may not be registered with a local GP. The alternative is to attend a walk in-centre which provides the same services as a GP but no appointment is required. You can turn up at a walk-in centre and wait to be seen by a doctor. Find a local walk-in centre here: Is it really A&E you need?
When you need urgent medical help but it's not life threateningYou can call 111 and speak to a highly trained adviser, supported by healthcare professionals. They will ask you a series of questions to assess your symptoms and direct you to the right medical care for you. NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones. See more here:
You should only attend A&E or call 999 for an ambulance if you or somebody you are with has a very serious or life-threatening injury or illness. It's important to remember that if you require emergency care or treatment you should attend your nearest hospital's Emergency Department.

Thinking of going to Accident and Emergency but not sure if you need to? Try our handy symptom checker.

Try ask A&E

We're improving the accessibility of our websites. If you can't access any content or if you would like to request information in another format, please view our accessibility statement.