Published: July 10, 2012
Neurology is a branch of medicine dealing with disorders of the nervous system.
Physicians specialising in the field of Neurology are called Neurologists. They diagnose and treat neurological disorders.
Neurological disorders are disorders that affect the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord), the peripheral nervous system, or the autonomic nervous system.
- Headache disorders such as migraine, cluster headache and tension headache
- Epilepsycerebrovascular disease, such as transient ischemic attack and stroke
- Neurodegenerative disorders, including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease, and motor neuron disease
- Infections of the brain (encephalitis), brain meninges (meningitis), spinal cord (myelitis) and infections of the peripheral nervous system
- Neoplasms – tumors of the brain and its meninges (brain tumors), spinal cord tumors, tumors of the peripheral nerves (neuroma)
- Movement disorders such as Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease, tic disorder, and Gilles de la Tourette syndrome
- Demyelinating diseases of the central nervous system, such as multiple sclerosis, and of the peripheral nervous system, such as Guillain-Barré syndrome and chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP)s
- Spinal cord disorders – tumors, infections, trauma, malformations
- Disorders of peripheral nerves (neuropathy), muscle (myopathy) and neuromuscular junctions (such as myasthenia gravis) Patients requiring neuroimaging are referred to the Radiology Department which provides a full range of specialized imaging modalities including computerised tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), ultrasound and angiography. Elettrophysiology tests including EEG, nerve conduction studies, EMG and evoked potentials are undertaken at City Hospital and University Hospital Birmingham (UHB). Patients with particular neurological conditions might require Physiotherapy, Speech and Language Therapy and Occupational Therapy. These are available within the Trust. Nurse-led clinics are also available to support and educate newly diagnosed patients with Parkinson’s Disease andMultiple Sclerosis. The Trust has dedicated inpatient and outpatient care across its three hospitals. Neurosurgical cases are treated at University Hospital Birmingham (UHB).
- Dr Vittorio Iantorno – Consultant Neurologist & Clinical Lead in Neurology
- Dr Emilia Saulle – Consultant Neurologist
- Dr Muzaffar Masoodi – Consultant Neurologist
- Dr Gordon Mazibrada – Consultant Neurologist
- Dr Mostafa Awadh – Locum Consultant Neurologist