Published: July 10, 2012
We are a dynamic growing part of the Trust, with three principle sub-departments and a wide variety of services, activities and roles. Our vision for patients is timely delivery of effective treatment with minimal risk. Our vision for the Trust is evidence-based, safe and cost effective use of medicines, contributing to the attainment of our vision for patients.Pharmacy has undergone several modernisation projects which have been achieved through the implementation of a LEAN system redesign, including:
- Rollout of electronic prescribing across 3 sites (62 ward areas).
- Installed 2 dispensing robots at Solihull and Heartlands, Good Hope to follow.
- Automated controlled drug storage and records (Pyxis CII Safe).
- Outsourcing outpatient dispensing with Boots Alliance.
- Ward based medicines management – use of patients’ own drugs, drug history taking / validation, dispensing for discharge, patient self medication, patient counseling.
- A specific emphasis on strategies to improve safety in the prescribing, supply and administration of medicines.
- Provide a medicines supply service for all the wards, departments and clinics in the hospital
- Dispense medicines for all inpatients including medication to take home on discharge
- Dispense prescriptions for outpatients
- Prepare sterile doses of medicines, particularly anti-cancer drugs
- Check prescribed drug treatment to ensure the dosages are correct, that one drug will not adversely affect the action of another, that the drug is given in the most suitable way and is the most appropriate drug for the patient and their condition or illness
- Provide clinical advice on the use of medicines to doctors, nurses, midwives and other healthcare staff
- Provide information and advice to patients about their drug treatment
- Purchase all the drugs used within the Trust
The Pharmacy Service for hospital inpatients is available on each day of the week. Although the Pharmacy Departments are not open 24 hours a day, an out-of-hours on call pharmacist is always available for advice and medicines urgently needed for inpatients.
- Birmingham Heartlands Hospital – 0121 424 3447
- Solihull Hospital – 0121 424 5507
- Good Hope Hospital – 0121 424 7792
- Mrs Tania Carruthers, Clinical Director of Pharmacy
The Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust is a member of the Birmingham, Solihull, Sandwell and Environs Area Prescribing Committee (BSSEAPC). The Formulary in use at Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust is developed by the BSSEAPC and is available via the link below:
Any queries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org